Console Video Gamer - Console Games Forum

Game Gifting Is Coming To Xbox One Store

Microsoft has said it's planning to bring gift purchases to the Xbox One store in the future.

Gamers will soon be able to buy games as gifts for their friends through the Xbox One store according to Xbox Vice President, Mike Ybarra.

On Twitter a fan asked Ybarra when we could expect to see the gift purchases feature added to the store and he replied that it’s “not far” off. At the moment this isn’t possible on the PlayStation or Xbox stores, though Valve offers it through Steam.

Give a gift

Digitally gifting games is a popular feature on Steam and it’s been highly requested on the Xbox store – take, for example, the post below taken from the Xbox feedback site which has garnered more than 5000 votes.

Make a "Gift to a Friend" Purchase Option in The Xbox One Store - Digital Gifting
When a new game comes out not all my friends are able to buy it right away or pre order because lets be real here: games are expensive.... Sometimes I just want to get the game for them (you know help a bro out) cuz I wannaplay with them. Therefore there should be a feature where you can just go to the store from your Xbox one and buy the game for your friend and then you'd type their gamertag so the game would be sent to their Xbox one digitally and it would be found in my games and apps for them waiting to be downloaded
Ybarra didn’t explicitly say when the feature would be introduced or even when it would be announced.

However, it would make sense for it to be introduced before the run up to Christmas when there’s a large rush of new releases and most people would likely be feeling generous enough to pay the price of a digital game for someone else. At least you’ll save on wrapping!