The story of a raiding guild with a PR but no game

creaky

Admin
May 4, 2013
405x-1

"NOW FOR YOU, INSECTS! BOLDLY, YOU SOUGHT THE POWER OF RAGNAROS. NOW YOU SHALL SEE IT FIRSTHAND!"

I'd never seen anything like it. Not necessarily the Firelord too large to fit on my screen, but what he represented: months of hard work helping lead 40 actual people to the bottom of Molten Core, World of Warcraft's cavernous first endgame raid. Beating Ragnaros meant recognition as a serious raiding guild, and as I stood there worrying about the battle before me - the different phases, the different tactics - I couldn't help but remember the haphazard force we had once been, failing countless times on only the first of the nine bosses that came before. The feeling was intoxicating - the memory still is.

That's why a curio stopped me in my tracks at this year's Rezzed game show. It wasn't a game, nor was it a developer session; it was a group of people from around Europe collectively known as Enigma, a meticulously organised 40-person raiding guild. I understood where they came from. But what really intrigued me was that they had no home. And that they had a PR.

Read more…