Console Video Gamer - Console Games Forum

Xbox Series X announced

creaky

Admin
Reaction score
Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox is officially called Xbox Series X. Microsoft revealed the name and console design on stage at the Game Awards today. The console itself looks far more like a PC than we’ve seen from previous Xbox consoles, and Microsoft’s trailer provides a brief glimpse at the new design.

The console itself is designed to be used in both vertical and horizontal orientations, and Microsoft’s Xbox chief, Phil Spencer, promises that it will “deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X in the most quiet and efficient way.”

Xbox boss bloke Phil Spencer described the console as "bold and unique", which is probably going a little too far as, well... it's basically just another black rectangular machine from the folks at Redmond, that can either be orientated vertically or horizontally.

But beauty is only skin deep; it's what's inside that matters. The Xbox Series X is targeting 4K resolution at 60 frames per second, using a custom AMD Zen 2-based Ryzen CPU and RDNA-based graphics, with support for ray-tracing and variable rate shading tech. In some cases, it will apparently help games hit 120 frames per second and deliver 8K resolutions.

It's the innards that have influenced the Xbox Series X's design, with the vertical orientation effectively allowing hot air to be vented out of a grill on its top with a single large fan taking care of main cooling duties, which should mean the console won't sound like it's taking off when it's silicon is being pushed.

"Xbox Series X will be our fastest, most powerful console ever and set a new bar for performance, speed and compatibility, allowing you to bring your gaming legacy, thousands of games from three generations and more forward with you," said Spencer.

• This is what was previously known as Project Scarlett
  • Fastest, most powerful Xbox ever made and will lead the next generation for the Xbox brand as their flagship console
  • Devs around the world already are building games for it
  • All fifteen Xbox Game Studios are developing exclusive games as we speak
  • Hellblade 2 is the very first of these first-party Xbox Series X games and the trailer was captured on the Xbox Series X
Microsoft used the Xbox Series X to showcase Hellblade 2, a new game from Ninja Theory that is being developed for its next Xbox console. While Microsoft has revealed the design here, the company isn’t revealing exact specs beyond what has been discussed previously

agamer

Reaction score
Not sure of the design of the console, won't fit in my TV unit standing up.

kenny

Reaction score
Not sure I like the design but it would be hidden away in a cupboard, as long as it works is the main thing.

Smokey

Reaction score
I love my One X and i'll definitely be picking up a Series X when I can. :)

creaky

Admin
Reaction score
Not sure on the shape but will probably pick one up, depends on which version though if there is more than one.

agamer

Reaction score
Mine will be hidden too, shape not an issue in the end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.